Friday, August 31, 2018

A gift and an old friend

I was happy to get the perfect birthday gift this year—Vladislav Vančura's The End of the Old Times (Konec starých časů). I have been looking for a copy to call my own since I read the book about 4½ years ago. My comments on the book are here. It's a wonderful novel, enjoyable at both a superficial level and also as commentary on pretentious and pretending aristocracy. It has been on my wish list for five years, so I'm extremely grateful to finely get a copy.

The friend is the 1990 Baumard Quarts de Chaume, the last of a case I bought almost 20 years ago. Although it shows further aging potential, it's an old friend I want to enjoy this year. So I'm enjoying a Czech with something from the Loire...consistency has never been a strong point for me. I hope everyone's weekend will be as enjoyable as mine!

2 comments:

citronyella said...

You are So Fortunate to actually get a copy of this book! I have been searching for it too since reading your post and actually seeing the movie on VHS back in the 90s! Please post about it some more if you get a chance. there's a whole library of wonderful books out there that need translating and/or reissuing, and this is certainly one of them.

Dwight said...

I felt extremely lucky to get this. I read a few chapters then, but I'll need to add it to the pile to read again completely since it is so enjoyable. When I do I'll definitely post on it.

I had forgotten about the Jirí Menzel movie based on the book. I'll have to track down a copy when I do read it again since I love comparing a book to its movie version. Thanks for the reminder!