Monday, May 09, 2011

Recent updates

I occasionally go back to posts, especially the online resources posts, to update them with additional information or links as I find them. Here are some updates to those posts:


The podcast for the April 5th conference call in the Marathon2500 series. This podcast covers “War and Sports" with Professor Thomas Scanlon. I enjoyed it and even got a question in on the call.

RFI and the French National Centre of Scientific Research have collected the stories of 120 survivors in the first ever sound archive devoted to the Gulag experience. I add the link to the post on the summary on Timothy Snyder’s Bloodlands

The complete list of posts at Forbes (to date) by two of the historians that assisted with the Landmark Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander: James Romm and Paul A. Cartledge

Several updates to the online resources for Thucydides’ The Peloponnesian War

An update to last year’s posts to note that the annotated version of Some Do Not... had been released. It looks like Carcanet Press has finished releasing all the annotated volumes of Parade’s End by now. I definitely want to revisit this work with the annotated versions, but it may have to wait a while.

Additional links in the resources for The Histories by Herodotus

I added a link to an article at American Heritage looking at additional aspects of Mary Rowlandson’s The Sovereignty and Goodness of God

Added a link to additional English translations of Pushkin’s Eugene Onegin that includes over 30 translations of the opening stanza

My online resources post on Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying now includes a link to Faulkner reading from the work, courtesy of Open Culture

Some additional links added to the Tristram Shandy online resources page

The online resources page for Gilgamesh adds a link to Steven Riddle’s review of The Buried Book by David Damrosch

I added a link to another blogger’s review of Joyce's A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man

A link to information on nineteenth-century Portugal which will help in reading Eça de Queirós’ The Maias

2 comments:

Mel u said...

I have read the long introduction to the annotated Some Do Not-it is very good-it is very informative and illuminating-one big caveat- I read the first few pages-the annotations are very good and for sure helped me see I had missed a lot of the references and allusions-the issue is the annotations are in super small footnotes-(smaller than the font here) and that takes away a lot of the pleasure of reading it for me-I guess if they had made the foot notes with a big font then the books might be 50.00 to 75.00 each-25.00 is even high now for a paperback novel for m ae-and there are 4 volumes-some people say if you really understand totally a few great books you are a long way to be well educated-U think Parade's End is in this category-I will do a post on the new material in vol one soon-not on the novel itself-

Dwight said...

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping one of our libraries will add these, but realistically I'm not holding my breath. I could tell there were lots of allusions I was missing, which is why I want to revisit it with the annotations. Wish the format was easier to read though...