Friday, March 15, 2013

Delay in posting, so a few notes

After both boys got the stomach crud it's my turn and the last thing I feel like doing is reading or posting. I will add a few notes, though.

I won't get to posting about the Introduction of Paideia: the Ideals of Greek Culture (Volume 1) by Werner Jaeger for a few days. In the meantime, check out the updated links in section the preface / contents post if you're interested. On the subject of coincidence, I was happy to see Jaeger was the first quote in Demosthenes of Athens and the Fall of Classical Greece by Ian Worthington. More on that book soon, too.

For other bloggers / readers in the San Francisco Bay area I wanted to mention this event on April 4 at the Hotel Rex in San Francisco: Mikhail Shishkin's Amazing Maidenhair. I highly recommended the book in this post and look forward to going to the event. Translator Marian Schwartz is also scheduled to be there. Drop a line if you're going and I'll be happy to meet for a drink before the event. I also hope to read the recently translated edition of his novel The Light and the Dark before the event.

3 comments:

Lisa C. Hayden said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Richard said...

Hope you feel better soon as well, Dwight, and I look forward to a post or two on Applebaum's Iron Curtain from you should you still be up for it when you're feeling better. Cheers!

Dwight said...

Thanks Lisa and Richard. Fortunately we're over the worst of it.

Richard, I had hesitated on posting on the Applebaum but after reading a blogger's review of it that missed the central point of the book I guess I will. I have several other non-fiction books I want to post on first, but I'll get to it.