Saturday, April 23, 2011

Apology: online resources

I have linked to a few resources during my posts on Plato’s Apology but I thought it might be helpful to have all of them in one place. As I’ve mentioned in an earlier post, a simple internet search will turn up a wealth of information but these are a few I thought looked helpful to anyone reading the dialogue.

My posts on the Apology can be found at the listing for Plato: Complete Works

I just discovered the Commentary on Plato's Apology of Socrates by Kelley L. Ross, Ph.D. Click on through to the History of Philosophy page for a treasure trove of links. High on my “must explore” list.

A short walkthrough the work at Dale E. Burrington’s Guides to the Socratic Dialogues

John Protevi’s outline looks at the context, dramatic setting, structure, and three themes of the Apology

The Classical Origins of Western Culture: The Core Studies 1 Study Guide by Roger Dunkle, Brooklyn College Core Curriculum Series

A good short write-up of the Apology and other dialogues at Garth Kemerling's History of Western Philosophy

Doug Linder’s essay “The Trial of Socrates”, which includes a look at the debate between Socrates' conviction for religious vs. political crimes

The Ancient Library’s entry on Meletus

Leo Strauss’ 1966 fall course on “Plato’s Political Philosophy: Apology and Crito"
Recordings 2 through 10 cover the Apology

My post on online resources for Plato (a post in progress)

Audio series of discussions by Allan Bloom about Plato’s Apology of Socrates on YouTube. It sounds like excerpts from a lecture.

As always, if you know of a good online resource to add to the list, feel free to email me or leave a comment.

No comments: