Friday, April 11, 2008

To The Lighthouse: audio recommendation

I saw the CD version of To the Lighthouse with Phyllida Law as reader at my local library and decided to give it a try. This in spite of my general misgiving about books on tape (I'm rarely able to give my full attention to them) and the specific worry about the adaptability of this work (can you keep track while listening to a sentence that has a dozen clauses between subject and verb?).

I need not have worried on either count. Phyllida Law does a wonderful job of bringing the book to life and keeping the sentence structure understandable. There is a lyricism and rhythm within the text that I was not aware of until hearing it read out loud. Very highly recommended.

General information: 8 CDs, just over 7 ½ hours, BBC Aduiobooks.

No comments: