Wednesday, January 30, 2008

José Maria Eça de Queirós online resources

I decided I needed a break from the Modernism kick I’ve been on and decided to read The Maias by José Maria Eça de Queirós. I wanted to find some resources online to flesh out what little I know about the book and the author.

Eça de Queirós Wikipedia entry

Projected Letters has an article on Rediscovering Queiroz
(Queiroz is how the author spelled his name, Queirós is the modern standard Portuguese spelling)

The Maias was recently translated by Margaret Jull Costa. Reviews for the book can be found in the following publications:

International Herald Tribune

The New York Times Sunday Book Review (what looks to be a summarized version of the review in IHT)

Words Without Borders

The new translation was released by New Directions Publishing

No comments: