Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Imre Kertész in upcoming issue of The Paris Review

The summer issue of The Paris Review will be out soon (according to this announcement). While there are several interesting articles/reviews/interviews mentioned, the one that caught my eye was an interview (supposedly the last one he'll give) with Imre Kertész. I just started reading Fateless and needless to say I'm impressed. From the teaser in the announcement:
Imre Kertész: "Look, I don’t want to deny that I was a prisoner at Auschwitz and that I now have a Nobel Prize. What should I make of that? And what should I make of the fact that I survived, and continue to survive? At least I feel that I experienced something extraordinary, because not only did I live through those horrors, but I also managed to describe them, in a way that is bearable, acceptable, and nonetheless part of [a] radical tradition … Perhaps I’m being impertinent, but I feel that my work has a rare quality—I tried to depict the human face of this history, I wanted to write a book that people would actually want to read."

Mission accomplished. More on the book later this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not a writer I've read anything of, so I'll look forward to hearing what you think :)