I’m traveling this next week and I’m not sure how much internet access I’ll have. A list of what I’ve read (or I’m almost finished with) that I want to post on when I have a chance, so plan your reading or avoidance accordingly:
- The movie Memórias Póstumas, the 2001 adaptation of Machado de Assis's The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas
- The Light and the Dark by Mikhail Shishkin
- The first two volumes of Karl Ove Knausgaard’s My Struggle
- Leonid Tsypkin’s The Bridge over the Neroch and Other Works
- The Astrologer by Scott G.F. Bailey
- Four essays in N.M. Penzer’s study Poison Damsels, and other essays in Folklore and Anthropology
- Plays…I've read several I’d like to share, including István Örkény’s weird and wonderful Stevie in the Bloodbath: A Grotesque Play in Two Parts and a few plays from Václav Havel (centered on his character Vaněk). There’s several more plays but I don’t know that I could write them all up...
- Richard at Caravana de recuerdos and I are planning to post on Andrey Platonov’s The Foundation Pit in another week. Also, Richard will be hosting the group read of Gogol’s Dead Souls at the end of this month.
- Winstonsdad’s blog hosts Polish literature in June. I have well over 3,000 pages of Polish literature sitting on my shelf, mocking me, that I want to tackle…