Tuesday, February 15, 2011

StratBlog

(Update): All links don't appear to be working. I'll update again if I can find copies of these posts.

For anyone that followed my rambling posts on Thucydides, I wanted to point out a new blog titled StratBlog, that chronicles and supplements a seminar at Bard College. The syllabus looks interesting and I've enjoyed the two posts on Thucydides so far:

Imaginative Daring: Changes in Strategy and Tactics (about the change in tactics Demosthenes forced on the Athenians in his attack on Pylos--it wouldn't be the last change in strategy and tactics for the war)

Is Fear the Father of Us All?
Thucydides, a failed Athenian general whose extraordinary history of the conflict established a gold standard for all subsequent historical scholarship in the west, was a cool headed analyst of the horrors that flow when fear meets hope, and his grim discussion of the forces that drive the interaction of states remains central to contemporary reflections on international life.

From what I've seen so far, the blog looks like a great way to follow along the seminar. While I'm at it, and since the course is based on the Grand Strategy course at Yale, I'd like to recommend Charles Hill's Grand Strategies: Literature, Statecraft, and World Order. One of these days I'll get around to a brief write-up on that book.

No comments: