Friday, April 10, 2009

April 11, 1945

Your cause of sorrow
Must not be measured by his worth, for then
It hath no end.

(Macbeth Act V, Scene 8)

Things that could not be known on that wedding day:

  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt would complain of a headache the next day, passing away in nearby Warm Springs, Georgia
  • Victory in Europe was less than a month away
  • Three boys would result from this union. Sorry Mom--you never got the girl you wanted. Having Sir Susie (yeah...me) was the closest you would get.
  • An unsuccessful trip to the moon (Apollo 13) would be launched on your 25th anniversary. Fortunately it was not symbolic of anything other than a successful "mission".

I doubt my mom will see this, which leads me to be a little more open with this posting. Today marks the first anniversary in 64 years that she will not have her husband by her side. I know the sense of loss I feel pales in comparison to what she is experiencing.

Even though I've said it time and again, I appreciate all that was done for me. I valued it before I had kids...and now that I have two boys, I appreciate everything even more...

No comments: