Monday, December 22, 2008

A recent Faulkner reference

Due to many recent changes (a new job being the big one) as well as kids' (and my) illnesses has led to zero reading lately. So I'll leave you with one of the funnier comments I've seen lately on William Faulkner's work. Not to mention timely, since I'll be visiting Alabama later this week:
Lucy: “Don’t touch them. Don’t touch a one of ‘em. They’re mine.” So what do you think that story is about?

Texas Ranger: Doesn’t the bear symbolize the old South and the new dog the encroaching industrialization of the North?

Walker: Duh. But the question is should the reader feel relief or sadness at the passing of the old South?

Lucy: Well, how ‘bout both?

Walker: Oh, I get it. Moral ambiguity, the hallmark of all early 20th century American fiction.

Texas Ranger: Great analysis Walker.

Walker: Thank you.

From Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

No comments: