Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My swerve

I had tentative plans for November to post on American women authors but I was sidetracked, willingly, into reading more books by and about Primo Levi. I plan to post on If This Is a Man and The Truce and three movies (Primo Levi's Journey, The Truce, and Primo Mysteries) during the month. I'll start with Sam Magavern's book Primo Levi's Universe, an excellent introduction to the man and his writings. I'll stop at this point before I gush too much about it.

The plan isn't to overwhelm the reader with concentration camp literature, but I want to dig up my notes on Imre Kertész's novel Fiasco, too.

There will probably be a Hungarian and Polish novel or two that will work their way into the month's posts, and more personally, a work on 19th-century Alabama writers. File it under writers from other countries if you'd like. This one will be personal, though, since it was written by the father of some great friends of mine. I plan to get to all of these and more during the month.

No comments: