Monday, December 19, 2011

Upcoming at Reading Odyssey: Homer's Iliad

First up in 2012 at Reading Odyssey is Homer's Iliad. Based on my experience with The Landmark Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander this year, I highly recommend exploring the Iliad through Reading Odyssey. The conference calls proved to be exceedingly informative (see this post for a sampling of the Arrian calls) and the discussion questions provided a helpful framework to read the book. Like any other worthwhile endeavor, you'll get out of it what you put into it (yes, I just turned into my parents...again) and I found the group helped maximize both sides of that equation.

Follow the opening link for registration information. If you have any questions about my experience with Arrian, feel free to leave a question in the comments or email me.

Update: From the reading group email:

Just a reminder that Reading Odyssey is forming reading groups for Homer's Iliad (Stanley Lombardo translation). We will hold three conference calls from January to March and cap it off with a special "visit" by Paul Cartledge. If you are interested, please look for more information on the Reading Odyssey website.

No comments: