Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Time out

The lack of recent posts is tied to summer fun with the family and too much work, not to lack of reading. Hopefully I'll be able to post on the following books/chapters before an upcoming trip:

Book 4 of The Histories--the Scythian chapter, or Darius invades Europe. After finishing this chapter my first time through The Histories I was thinking "I'm finally getting to the good stuff--the Persian invasions." This time through I realize the good stuff is on almost every page.

Travels with Herodotus by Ryszard Kapuscinski--part memoir, part reflection on The Histories by the famous Polish reporter/correspondent. I have almost finished reading it and can't recommend it enough. Wonderful stuff.

Richard Miles' Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization--I'm only one-third of the way through this (so far) masterful account of the lost city and civilization of Carthage. If it continues this well to the end, yet another high recommendation.

No comments: