Friday, August 18, 2006

Next book: The Great Gatsby

Join us in reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The copy I have is around 180 pages, so I'll divide it up into sections of about 60 pages for each week. I'll go with the tentative schedule below for now and see if it needs revision.

August 30: Chapters 1 - 3
September 6: Chapters 4 - 6
September 13: Chapters 7 – 9
September 20: Book vs. movie, anything else

Feel free to add anything else you'd like to see covered regarding the book!

3 comments:

Barry Barnitz said...

Here are some web resources on the life and works of F Scott Fitzgerald:

The Fitgerald Society

F Scott Fitgerald Centanary

Since the novel's time sequence takes place during the early 1920's, a review of Prohibition is salutary:
Wikipedia entry on Prohibition

Tiredbuthappy said...

Oops, should have gotten this today when I was at the library. I read it years ago and disliked it. I wonder if I'll be able to bring myself to read it again.

Have been reading a lot lately.

New mystery author I discoverd: Rebecca Pawel. I've only read the first of three books she has out so far, but it was excellent.

Also recently read The Shadow of the Wind. Quite a page turner.

I've been trying to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for the first time but it's really sad.

Anyway, will try to get on the great gatsby bandwagon. One is supposed to like Fitzgerald.

Dwight said...

Claire, you don't have to like him. Or the story.

While I like his writing, I dislike this story quite a bit as well. I'm still trying to put my finger on why and will expound on that later.