Friday, June 30, 2006

What else have you been reading?

Okay, since it's clear not too many people finished Vanity Fair, what else have you been reading? Or do you folks only have time for reading PF blogs?

I just finished Fun Home, an autobiographical book-length comic by Alison Bechdel.

Fun Home is dark. Very dark. But I looooved it. There's a section where Bechdel describes an obsessive-compulsive state she went through as a kid, where every single line in her diary had the phrase "I think" because she didn't trust that her experiences and thoughts could possibly be true. She wrote it so much that she finally developed a short-hand symbol to represent the phrase "I think".

When I told my spouse about this, he said, "oh, you mean like the character Lofty in Bob the Builder."

It's an indication of just how far I've sunk culturally since becoming a parent that I knew exactly what he was talking about and agreed with him.

Anybody else read comix? I also just got the book Persepolis, a comic autobiography of a young girl growing up in Iran. I haven't read it yet, though.

1 comment:

Dwight said...

I just started Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower, which covers a lot more than just that. It appears to cover about 60 years worth of history around the Mayflower and the colony, at least up to King Phillip's War.

Other than that, I haven't had a lot of time to read *lol*